Thursday, January 29, 2015

3-Act Tasks -- I think you have me hooked!

 I remember hearing years ago in a PD session about this guy called Dan Meyer.  If you are a math teacher and haven't heard of him, check out his blog and TEDtalk.  I was intrigued by his thought but never had time to get going and get ahold of how his three-act tasks could work in my classroom.  I was too busy worrying about how to cram enough content into the period from bell to bell so my students could be successful.  I spent the bulk of my time creating engaging activities... well call me a fool!  

What I have found out from trying these tasks is that they do work really well.  I have tried three differents acts with two different teachers this year (thanks to those willing souls to let me try something with their kids when I know their time is very precious!) I wish I could have had more time to work through and find ways to implement these more often for my students of the past... We all live and learn! 

So I have been trying to find engaging hooks for the GLE's that the PLC's are on and how they too wouldn't have to regret not trying a three-act task with their students.  These are the two successes that I have tried -- Sugar Packets and Woody's Raise and You Pour, I Choose.  They all were great and I got the kids hooked, lined and sinkered!  

Looking forward to implementing more!  

Here are some resources to use: 


No comments:

Post a Comment